Thursday 17 February 2022

Running 5e as OSR: Monsters by HD not CR

Some of my friends love 5e, only play 5e, only will play 5e. I find 5e unwieldy and time consuming to prep and run, whereas I love the flow of OSR and PBTA games. But 5e has been around for nearly a decade and apparently isn't going away soon either.

What I want to know is whether I can run 5e for them, RAW or RAW-ish, in a way that means I a) don't have to bog myself down in encounter building and all that crap and b) can use all the cool OSR stuff I have lying around.

Encounter building is painful; it sucks all the joy out of running a game for me. However, embracing "Combat as War, not Sport" I'm sacking off encounter building for good so I don't need CR. What I could do with, however, is an idea of general stats against Hit Dice in 5e so I can use OSR resources or eyeball stats in play.

Thankfully I found this interesting analysis on BlogOfHolding about generic stats for given CRs and the rules are surprisingly linear. It seems the rule for average HP is mostly 15 * (CR+1) or 15 * CR which would suggest that monsters have a d30 as a Hit Die, but assuming they average out around d8s or d10s maybe that's steps of 3HD per CR? Maybe, accounting for an average CON mod of say +2, it's more like 2HD per CR?

Cross referencing against Sly Flourish's analysis of monster CRs per PC at different levels here and the Unearthed Arcana encounter building document (that I think made it into Xanathar's?) suggests that steps of 2 is probably about right. I don't care too much, I'm eyeballing.

With a little work I can turn this around to get the data I wanted. I find it easier to think of Damage in terms of "dice" - no modifier needed, 'cos it's quicker - on the fly:

I'm surprised how well this turned out given how complicated and opaque the sections in the 5e book are. Comments welcome below.

I am no fan of massive statblocks and fiddly special rules, so I'm happy to put this table in my bag and use it as a Monster Manual. Monsters don't need to be built with PC rules. I can derive rough stats from the HD and give things abilities or behaviours that fit what they are in play.

Also: let's take an OSR monster from a (great) book:

From The Stygian Library by Emily Allen

In 5e the Lantern Bearer above can become:

@ 3HD:

15HP (don't get the impression these are supposed to be tough so going for an easy 5 * HD)

AC 12 ("Leather" implies lower but not very low, -1 feels right on the +/- 3 scale)

Smack with Lantern +4, d6 (a basic "1 die" attack)

Good saves/skills +2 (Thief level = HD => average) - but bad ones can be +0 (DM discretion!)

Radiant Burst as written (1 "die" equivalent over multiple targets + non-damage effect is fine) and Save DC would be 10.

Other rules as written.

And that's fine with me. It doesn't really matter as long as I have a rough frame to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always very welcome :)

Please consider indie and small press RPGs, and support the blogosphere.

Image content used that is not original was sourced via creative commons or similar and is used in good faith - and because I love it - however please contact me if there are any issues.