Friday 1 December 2023

RPG Blog Carnival: Endings

Apologies for my lack of involvement over the last few months, real life gets in the way sometimes. I do have a post still in draft for the September Carnival theme, then Orktober took over, and had I previously posted something on the theme for November and was struggling for ideas...

But on to this Carnival! To bookend Scot's January topic of "Beginnings", for December 2023 I've chosen an intentionally broad theme of "Endings" to close the year. 

Image credit: NataliaDrepina

Some suggestions:

Campaign finales and closing plot arcs

(I'm particularly interested in this; as much a fan of shorter campaigns that I am, I still struggle with endings - it's easier to just keep the story rolling on!)

Character death, retirement, and TPKs

(I've talked briefly about the latter before, but I still think it's an interesting topic)

2023 in review / retrospective

(I don't usually do this, but I like reading them; and I think I will this year as I started the year off with hopes and dreams - if you are too then please share here!)

But anything goes that fits the theme!

Drop a link to your themed post in the comments on this post, all welcome, and I'll post a wrap-up at the end of the month when the Carnival moves on.

After this month the 2023 RPG Blog Carnival is ending - signups to host in 2024 are open at the hub on OfDiceAndDragons, along with general info about getting involved (and why you should) and links to all the past Carnivals too.

4 comments:

  1. I've made my entry about endings of the online campaigns and adventures I ran

    https://vdonnutvalley.wordpress.com/2023/12/06/endings-of-my-online-rpg-campaigns/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have written a short piece on two recent games on my blog (https://illusorysensorium.com/end-is-nigh/) that have each got me thinking differently about Endings for campaigns and characters.
    Hope people check out the games I discuss, because I think they're both really well made and doing something different. Looking forward to the other entries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my last post (and ending itself) of my Advent(ure) Calendar about what's left behind.
    https://rpgwandering.wordpress.com/2023/12/24/adventure-calendar-day-14/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late addition to the prompt - a practical focus on endings: sticking to time and making sure you get an ending for one-shots and episodic play

    https://seedofworlds.blogspot.com/2023/12/landing-session-ending-for-one-shots.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments always very welcome :)

Please consider indie and small press RPGs, and support the blogosphere.

Image content used that is not original was sourced via creative commons or similar and is used in good faith - and because I love it - however please contact me if there are any issues.