Sunday 22 January 2023

#dungeon23 update. How it started vs how it's going

I switched to using a diary last week; prior to that I had been trying for more of a "one page dungeon" but I got lost in trying to make the flow work around the rooms I was writing, and how to make the rooms fit in the flow I had created.

I thought it would help, but it didn't.

Using a diary (yes I know that was the idea all along) I'm finding that I fill the space with notes, and then stop, and I'm feeling less constrained by the map:

My dungeon23 megadungeon, week 3

I'm still trying to work to the rough proportions from last week but if I can't make it fit then I'm not worrying too much.

I've been able to spec out a monster in the notes as well which I think I might carry forward, these will be tied to a planned encounter that week but can also be mined for populating wandering monster / random encounter tables later.

This is conceptually finishing off the "habitation" area of this level, fleshing out the goblin ecosystem in the context of this level (they might inhabit other levels too) so this is less a "lair" than an outpost I guess.

On the subject of lairs, on the original map there's the (off screen) troll lair to work on next. I'm reading more old school materials with interest and, from the treasure tables and "number appearing" data for monsters, it seems that lairs and dungeons are similar but different... I do really wonder why all this good stuff was taken out of later versions of D&D!

How's your dungeon going?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always very welcome :)

Please consider indie and small press RPGs, and support the blogosphere.

Image content used that is not original was sourced via creative commons or similar and is used in good faith - and because I love it - however please contact me if there are any issues.