Wednesday 18 January 2023

On #dungeon23 and losing myself in old school dungeon stocking tables

As I have been working on this megadungeon I have been increasingly interested in the old school ways of dungeon generation.  I'm building a location not an "adventuring day". A heavy amount of research has led me to trying to make this first (sub)level 18 rooms large:

Dungeon23 osr dungeon map wip
Progress on level one of my megadungeon

There's differences between systems and authors but an easy generalisation, looking particularly at OD&D and B/X, seems to be that probabilities are something like this: (please do correct or enlighten me in the comments!)

  • 2/6 chance of there being an encounter room (note that in those days, as in my mind, this could mean combat or social encounters) and 3/6 chance there is treasure
  • 1/6 chance of tricks and traps in this room and 2/6 chance there is treasure
  • 1/6 chance of this being a "special room"
  • 2/6 chance of this being an empty room and 1/6 chance there is treasure
This is obviously easily applied to 6, 12, 18, 24 and 30 (and so on) room dungeons, and there were enough people proposing that 18 was a reasonable size for a dungeon level (or here, sub level) that I thought I could aim to fit 18 on the page and see how it went!

How it went was ... OK.  Not as well as I had hoped because I think I have been too focused on making things fit in the context of the map (i.e. "finishing") than getting ideas down on paper (which is more akin to the "beginning" I was aiming to focus on last time!)

However; back to the drawing board and armed with a week-to-page planner/diary I now have a modified plan going forward.  I'm going to stick to the original proposition of just writing rooms but at least I can feel confident that each week long spread of 7 rooms should/could (on average) contain:
  • 2 rooms with encounters, that could be played out by combat or roleplay (best: either)
  • 2 "special" rooms with puzzles or traps or some sort of set-piece
  • 2 empty rooms - although hopefully these will still contain enough dressing to be interesting or relevant
  • 1 wildcard (any of the above, it's just guidance after all)
Generally, 1/4 to 1/3 of these rooms should have treasure (so say two, on average) and this treasure is generally most likely to be "guarded" (by an encounter or a trap) than "unguarded" - but searching empty rooms should prove to be rewarding sometimes!

I'm happy with my progress and what I've learnt so far, how's everyone else getting on?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always very welcome :)

Please consider indie and small press RPGs, and support the blogosphere.

Image content used that is not original was sourced via creative commons or similar and is used in good faith - and because I love it - however please contact me if there are any issues.