Wednesday 1 February 2023

February 2023 RPG Blog Carnival: Procedures

I've been thinking a lot about procedures, and reading a lot about OSR procedures, while working on dungeon23 (you can follow my progress here if you're interested) and so the topic for this month's RPG Blog Carnival, hosted right here, is "Procedures"!

The carnival is open to all RPG bloggers, all that is required is to write a post on the broad topic of procedures and post a link in this post's comments.

This could be about - but not limited to:

  • Procedural generation for dungeons or hexcrawls?
  • Procedures for dungeon crawling or wilderness exploration?
  • Character generation or world building procedures?
  • Procedures for adventure writing or campaign planning?
  • Procedures and social rituals at your game table?
  • Procedures for arbitrating certain situations or running certain types of scene or adventure (chases, social "combat", etc.)?

At the end of February I'll write up a round-up post and the carnival will move on to another blog. If you'd like to host one month or find out more then please check out the home of the RPG Blog Carnival for more info.

If you're working on dungeon23 too then you may also be interested in the contributions from last time I hosted the carnival, all about building dungeons.

12 comments:

  1. Been years since I participated in a Blog Carnival. Here's my entry on a procedure for speeding up wilderness random encounters
    http://alesmiter.blogspot.com/2023/02/forced-march-accelerating-cross-country.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LINK

      Thanks Rod! I'm a sporadic contributor but with the RPGBA gone I do worry that the blog carnival might go the same way, so I'm going to try to participate more.

      Delete
  2. As well as working on a spark-table-of-spark tables for procedurally generating dungeon rooms/features (see my #dungeon23 tag) I have also posted a review of Skycrawl and the wonderful procedures within: https://plasticpolyhedra.blogspot.com/2023/02/rpg-book-review-skycrawl.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to have something for this. Like you, I do not want to see the RPG Blog Carnival fade away.

    You may wish to post a link on RPGGeek.com if you have an account there to drum up more interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I have a BGG account if that's the same, I might go check it out if I get time. If not in time for this on then maybe for the next anyway..?

      Delete
    2. Here is a table to generate the ships coming into Port Imperial: https://seaofstarsrpg.wordpress.com/2023/02/25/a-ship-arrives-at-port-petrichor-365/

      Delete
    3. LINK

      Thanks, we can never have enough random tables!

      Delete
    4. I am I taking up the hosting of the Blog Carnival in March, them of Taverns, Bars and other places to meet! https://seaofstarsrpg.wordpress.com/2023/03/01/beginning-this-months-rpg-blog-carnival-taverns-bars-and-places-to-meet/

      Delete
  4. My entry: Overloaded Wilderness Encounters - bolting an unlockable table which could stay random but shift the probabilities around to an overloaded encounter die for what specifically is encountered during a given hour for traversing the wilderness

    https://seedofworlds.blogspot.com/2023/02/procedure-overloaded-wilderness.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! LINK

      I read about your unlockable encounter table before, interesting to see it in use here. Overloading encounter dice has been added to my "stuff to read up on" list!

      Delete
  5. Here's my entry: Using a version of a "hexflower" to track long-term projects. https://rpgwandering.wordpress.com/2023/02/26/rpg-blog-carnival-procedures/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LINK
      Thanks, I love a hexflower so I'll definitely be checking this out later!

      Delete

Comments always very welcome :)

Please consider indie and small press RPGs, and support the blogosphere.

Image content used that is not original was sourced via creative commons or similar and is used in good faith - and because I love it - however please contact me if there are any issues.