Tuesday 13 June 2023

An exploration of travelling in TTRPGs

A new month rolls around already and June brings with it the topic of "Travels, by Wave, Cloud, or Portal" from Seed of Worlds for the RPG blog carnival.

Exploration is something I love about TTRPGs and something I want to play more of (and get better at) but I always found the rules for it lacking in modern D&D editions.  The hexcrawl-traversal procedures of the old school I find too heavy - I'm more narrativist than simulationist I feel - although not as heavy as the time I played Barbarian Prince...

Image credit: ThemeFinland

So, between these poles of "nothing" and "too much" what is there? I decided to go through my RPG book collection with a lens on the theme of "travel"...

It's hard for me to think about travel-based games without mentioning the hot-mess science-fantasy-wagon-train pointcrawl that is Ultraviolet Grasslands.  The places, people, and art are inspiring - but in a game that is ostensibly about travelling, how do we travel?

A destination is chosen, a known number of days away, and the caravan departs. There's a roll to see how ill fated the journey is, and one to see what is encountered. Time and resources are adjusted (there is caravan management and good-old OSR resource-management) and you've arrived. You could flesh the whole thing out into a multi-scene session, or a single montage.

I talked a while back about Skycrawl/Downcrawl and how much I love the procedures therein, it's literally a game (setting?) built around exploring and discovering new things (for the GM too with all the generation tables).

Travel in these games is heavily procedurised but pretty rules-light; the "difficulty" of the journey is set out in how-many-boxes-do-we-need-to-check-off style and the players go about checking off the boxes.  Each day they can press on (checking the boxes), rest, or retreat - with opportunities to gain and spend a meta-currency called "Tack" which prevents them from getting lost.

There are moves for players to be able to expand the map or add detail to it, which I personally think is wonderful.

Side note: I keep meaning to talk about The Wildsea - which is another game I own which is pretty much about exploration.  There needs to be more hours in the day, or perhaps just fewer working hours.  Travelling the rustling waves feels conceptually similar to Downcrawl; 

Wildsea travel similarly involves setting a track (boxes to tick off) and, similar to the starship combat in Stars Without Number, allocating the PCs to their stations. Rolls are made to see if the ship makes progress, the crew encounters anything notable, the cartographer maps the area/route, and so on. When the track is filled, the party arrives.

I think these are what I like.  I'd like the journey from one place to the next to fit nicely into a session (sometimes) - but this is something I need to explore more.  The journey forms the scenes of the narrative, which I like, but the number of scenes is unknown (due to different levels of success ticking different numbers of boxes) which isn't helpful in this context...

Interestingly, if you crossed these systems with the traditional hexcrawl you would probably get something like Yochai Gal's wilderness rules for Cairn v2...

On a very different tack, I purchased a bundle on itch.io purely out of curiosity about Wanderhome.  It's not my usual cup of tea but it's about travelling, which I have mechanical interest in, and a while back I got hooked into Patrick Stuart's musings on "soft", Ghibli-esque D&D.  This is a much more narrativist game, with places along the road created and fleshed out in play by the players.  It's pretty much all about the journey - but I can't say I fully understand, from reading it through, how it's supposed to be played.

I do like some of its ideas and especially on how to build places, essentially by combining templates, which is something to file away for inspiration...  Of course, every game has something you can steal to make your other games better.  

So, what are your favourite travel mechanics or systems that I can steal from?

PSA: The RPG Blog Carnival is looking for hosts for 2023, you can find out more and sign up here (it's incredibly easy and actually quite fun). Thanks to Seed of Worlds for hosting this one!

5 comments:

  1. Ooh - I've never read those Cairn v2 rules, thanks for linking to them - and, in fact, for reminding me that I own a copy of Downcrawl somewhere. On the topic of more interesting exploration, I really like keyed (or randomly generated) obstacles - kind of similar to the locations you get in depthcrawls like the Gardens of Ynn, where along with encounters you also have rivers, cliffs, and the like. In combination with procedural exploration like Downcrawl, it's nice to have them as a place for open gameplay.

    On a bit of a different track, have you read https://wasitlikely.blogspot.com/2023/03/laws-of-land-meaningful-terrain-via-in.html ? It's a concept for how to differentiate different environments by giving them prohibitions - a place where you must not make sudden movements, or must not bring water, or some kind of disaster comes upon you.

    Thanks for those related posts, too! I just found you through the Blog Carnival and some of those (especially Changing Gears) look very relevant to what I'm hoping to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for taking the time to comment! You're very welcome, glad you like :)

      I do really like Ynn (and the Stygian Library etc.) too but I forgot to include them! Thanks for the link, interesting reading - makes places more mechanically and fictionally interesting/distinct.

      Delete
  2. So it seems there are no host blogs for July, August, September this year...

    I'm not affiliated but I do love (and miss to a large extent) the community aspect of the blogosphere so I'm happy to host again, but if anyone reading this is interested in hosting the Carnival for a month then please consider it.

    It's free, dead easy, actually quite fun, social, and gets traffic flowing between blogs (which was the point when it was set up all those years ago)

    Info and sign up link here: https://ofdiceanddragons.com/rpg-blog-carnival/

    I fear if we (bloggers) don't keep it going this year then it's going to fade away, and I think that would be a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just noticed it! I'll host August. The RPG Blog Carnival themes and topics have inspired me not only to write but also to create and play. Now to think what I'll be writing about...

      Delete
    2. Awesome, now we just need 4 more for the year! When I'm stuck for a topic I have wondered if it would be fun to re-use the one from "ten years ago this month" but something always comes to mind in the end.

      Delete

Comments always very welcome :)

Please consider indie and small press RPGs, and support the blogosphere.

Image content used that is not original was sourced via creative commons or similar and is used in good faith - and because I love it - however please contact me if there are any issues.