I saw there is a One Page Derelict jam on itch.io and thought it would be fun to write up my first Stars Without Number adventure, set on a derelict refuelling station. If these tables give you any ideas for an adventure why not check out the jam?
Based on my seemingly popular 5 Room Dungeon tables from last year. Just roll a set of polyhedral dice and consult the tables for inspiration.
The d20 - Access is challenging because:
- it is surrounded by space debris.
- its automatic defences are still active.
- it is invisible to active sensor sweeps.
- pirates or other raiders swarm nearby.
- it was lost due to a hyperspace mis-jump.
- it is guarded by an alien construct.
- all the airlocks are on emergency lockdown.
- someone rich/powerful keeps it secret.
- it is embedded in an asteroid.
- it has drifted too far out of the system.
- it requires antique access keys/protocols.
- there are rumours that it's haunted.
- the wreckage is under quarantine.
- it is infested with vermin or aliens.
- it drifted into solar storms or radiation.
- the owning megacorp hushed it up.
- military access codes are required.
- a decoy hides its real location.
- its location is known only to a select few.
- a rogue AI guards against intruders.
|Image (cc) RadoJavor|
The d6 - A group of:
- personality cultists
- political or religious outcasts
- mutants or aliens or robots
- conspiracy theorists
- military deserters
- super-rich hedonists
The d10t - ...make things interesting by:
- setting dangerous booby traps.
- trying to get something out.
- trying to get something inside.
- turning the wreck into a puzzle.
- activating experimental or alien tech.
- being dangerously incompetent.
- trying to reactivate the vessel.
- racing the PCs to the objective.
- claiming the wreckage as a base.
- dying here, in a colourful manner.
The d12 - The complication:
- a fake item or forged data
- switchbacks and dead ends
- environmental hazards
- a person who is not as they seem
- something from a character backstory
- a threat that was previously ignored
- the actions of a traitor
- unexpected boarding action
- someone interfering from outside
- hostages or trapped crew
- something missing a vital piece
- the derelict hulk breaking up
The d4 - ...mean(s) that:
- precious time may be wasted.
- oxygen or power etc. may run out.
- the party may get split up.
- a hard choice must be made.
The d8 - The final encounter:
- is the reverse of what was expected
- is hampered by the environment
- requires the party to split their focus
- has been designed as a lure or ambush
- takes place outside, in space
- is a race against the clock
- is centred around a maguffin
- can be affected from elsewhere
The d10u - The revelation:
- a former ally is revealed as an enemy.
- a former enemy is revealed as an ally.
- the objective is missing or faulty.
- there is a hidden tech or data stash.
- in the confusion, something goes missing.
- PCs are irradiated or infected etc.
- impending doom, PCs must evacuate.
- the PCs' means of escape is cut off.
- a clue confirms or refutes a rumour.
- a clue reveals a new connection.