Monday 4 January 2021

A dynamic, living OSR megadungeon will be my next campaign!

Sometimes things just fall into place.

Having received The Black Hack for Christmas, and enjoyed reading through it, I have had a yearning for doing something old school; a hex crawl, or a megadungeon, or the like.

Along came an excellent series of megadungeon posts at Hobgoblinry (two, three, four, five...) referencing a thought provoking post from Lich Van Winkle on the application of wandering monsters and my fate is sealed. A megadungeon it is.

But not any megadungeon.  I want to take my current experiments with dynamic planning and reusability forward, and work in some ideas I have been having about procedural mapping (note to self: I had better get those down first!)

Image (cc) Noicem

I want structured delving mechanisms, I want the thrill of old school dungeon diving, and I want to embrace what I have learnt from the new school of TTRPGs and my own evolving DM style.

I have a couple of other things on my table for January, so I'm writing myself these key questions in the hope the answers will percolate out:

How do I gamify the act of delving and what (if anything) can I add from the OSR generally to The Black Hack's rules for the likes of dwindling supplies and fear of the dark?

I have been playing the "roguelike" video game Dead Cells a lot recently, and I'm intrigued. Can I create a roguelike megadungeon by procedurally generating dungeon levels semi-randomly during play?

What frameworks can I put in place for managing denizens, factions, and the dungeon ecosystem? And the town economy??

Can I make structures to keep up pressure on the players to keep moving, think on their feet, manage their resources and just get out alive - and keep it fun? 

Should I play the Master of Ceremonies (thank you Apocalypse World) or the traditional the Dungeon Master, Keeper, Game Master, Referee?

Am I actually good enough at building dungeons to be able to build a mega-one??

If you have any suggestions, or helpful links/resources, please let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always very welcome :)

Please consider indie and small press RPGs, and support the blogosphere.

Image content used that is not original was sourced via creative commons or similar and is used in good faith - and because I love it - however please contact me if there are any issues.